This post has been long in the making since its one of the questions that I get asked often. From the first time I held my son I knew that I was called to stay home with him, which was so unexpected since I have always been business driven. I mean, I had employees in 4th grade, so I’ve pretty much worked my whole life. I knew right away that if I was going to be a stay at home mom I would need to do so in a way that allowed space for my creativity and hustle, I wanted to make my own money and not have to consider a budget every time I went to Target, I know you can relate. I now stay home with my son and work from home and earn a full time income online. I am going to share five ways for moms/parents to make REAL money from home, I have tried all of these and have had success doing so, some I still do, and some I did when I was in college.
- Ebay – You can start a business from home by selling thing on eBay. It can be stuff that you find at thrift stores, yard sales, or stuff around your house. When I was in college I had a very successful eBay shop selling designer denim. This taught me to ship and provided the funds for spending money and more inventory. You can obviously grow this business as much or as little as you want. You might just want to make a little spending money or car payment money, this will really be up to you. Setting goals is super important!
- Own your own boutique – So many parents think that this is so hard, but owning an online boutique is actually really easy and the earning potential is amazing because you can sell on your site but also on sites like Amazon and Deal sites. You can sell your own items or wholesale items that you can purchase online or if you’re in California you can shop LA. You can choose to sell the items as the are or you can re-label them with your brand. Downside to this is that when you start out you are everything to your shop. You have the task of marketing, shipping, customer service, and/or designing your own product.
- Blogging – This is one that I currently do, so my knowledge is fresh and developing daily. One of the perks of blogging is that blogging can offset expenses since companies are always willing to send you amazing product for a review. As you work on it you’ll start to develop a platform that will allow you to charge companies for reviews. I currently earn about $1500-2000 from blogging and Instagram not including products that are sent to me.
- Network Marketing/Direct Sales– This is a huge one for our family and one that brings in a substantial income. I educate people on wellness and Young Living essential oils which I absolutely love. I know that many have weird feelings about network marketing so you will have to find a company that fits your personality and whose products you absolutely love. The great thing about network marketing is you have so much support from the main company. I will share about Young Living since thats where I’m at. You don’t have to keep inventory, you have so much support, and education so if theres a will, you’ll have all the tools. You don’t have to ship and Young Living offers customer support as well. So if you’ve been curious about Young Living just hollar!
- Manage social media accounts/virtual assistant – I currently manage a few Instagram accounts for local businesses and charge anywhere between $450-$600 dollars per month per account. You will have to learn the ropes of whatever platform you are using and continue to educate yourself because they change daily, no joke! You will need to become an expert on social media or a platform so that you can either manage accounts for others or start your own business there. But there are many businesses that need the assistance so the work potential will always be there.
None of these options are easy money! They will all require you to work but the income potential is there and you can do it all from home without taking stupid surveys! The amount of work will depend on whether you want to make a side mom hustle or a full mom hustle. If you have any questions leave them in the comments and I am always happy to help. You can also message me on Facebook or Instagram.
If you love essential oils like I do then you probably know that a good diffuser is a must-have investment, but its also hard to pick a diffuser and most don’t know what to do with it. So lets go over some of the ways you can benefit from a diffuser ! Contrary to popular belief essential oils do more than just smell nice; they can play a key role in overall wellness. But don’t be fooled because not all essential oils are created equal so its important to keep this in mind when you have an impulse buy oils at your box store or Amazon. A good diffuser is the easiest and newbie friendly way to reap the benefits for yourself, family, and home. You can find amazing diffusers on online or Young Living (one year warranty on all their diffusers).
4 Reasons You Need an Essential Oil Diffuser
- Boost immune system: Essential oils do so much for us. They kill off viruses in the air, make your home smell amazing, support all of your systems include your immune system. Specific essential oils like Thieves are meant give your immune system a much needed boost. Oils like Lemon and Purification aid in gentle detox which also helps boost the immune system.
- Improved air quality: When you diffuse essential oils into a room, you are doing more than scenting your home, you are combating airborne pathogens. Unlike candles and air fresheners, essential oils don’t cover up a smell, they actually get to work and alter the odor molecules stinking up your home.
- Breathe easier: I am already seeing it all over my Facebook feed, the end of summer colds that for many will linger throughout the whole “cold season.” But it doesn’t have to be that way, you don’t have to spend all fall and winter battling stuffy noses. Try diffusing eucalyptus, RC, Raven, Rosemary, to name a few. All of these essential oils help us open up and breathe easier. Ever tried a hot shower with a few drops of eucalyptus in the tub? It’s like a spa that supports your airways!
- Better sleep: Need I say more? Everyone and I mean everyone can benefit from better sleep. Many essential oils have calming and even sedative properties that help our mind unwind and help us enter a stage of restful sleep. In our home we personally diffuse lavender, cedarwood, tranquil, or sleepygize (a Young Living blend formulated for kiddos) for some good zzz.
If you’d like you learn more about essential oils or get started I have a post just for you! You can always just message me.
Now that it’s finally starting to feel like autumn in the morning, lets see how long that last, it is California after all. I am starting to want more than a smoothie and coffee at breakfast time. Chia seed puddings and overnight oats are some my staples because they can be made ahead of time and the flavor options are endless. Take this combination for example, its rich and offers all the wonderful flavors from fall without the junk that you will find in most commercial pumpkin spice products. I am growing a baby so no thank you!
Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 can whole fat organic coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup hemp milk
Instructions: This pudding is super easy to make, I throw all of the ingredients in a glass container and mix with a spoon to ensure that all the chia seeds are coated with the milk mixture. Scrape the seeds from inside the vanilla bean and make sure to get all the tiny speckles of goodness in the milk mixture. Cover container with a lid and place in the fridge over-night. In the morning you will have creamy goodness that smells amazing.
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Mix all ingredients together.
Pumpkin Spice Granola
- 2 cups of oats
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 drop of Young Living Vitality cinnamon essential oil
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- pinch of tumeric (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper (optional, sounds crazy but it makes sense when its all together)
Instructions: Mix all ingredients together except the shredded coconut set that aside. Once the oats are coated in the mixture spread on a sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Throughout the baking process mix the oats around to ensure they cook evenly, add the shredded coconut and bake for another 3-5 minutes until they are golden. Let the oats cool down and once they’ve cooled layer your pudding and enjoy! I promise its delicious!
I vividly remember saying “how am I going to be a mom to a boy? Im not a boy.” So funny now, but a serious worry then, now I can’t imagine being anything but Oliver’s mom. Boys are so much fun, wild, full to the brim with energy, and just plain handsome. One of the questions that I get asked all the time is “where do you buy Oliver’s clothes? its so hard to find cute boy clothes.” That might have been the case a few years ago but that’s no longer the case! Today, I will be sharing with you all where I shop for most of Oliver’s clothes, how to save money, and how to have fun dressing your boy. I know a lot of boy moms are jealous of the girls’ clothing selections. But, seriously we have it so good! Once you weed out the “Dad’s All-star” tees, there is a whole collection of amazing pieces out there. God knew what he was doing when he made me a boy mom he knew that my tolerance level for glitter, tulle, and pink is well, none.
Twice a year, fall-winter and spring-summer, I purchase two pair of jeans from ZARA in whatever colors I am feeling for that season. These jeans are my all time favorite, they are soft, stretchy, and sport a skinny leg which I personally adore. We purchase a lot of his clothes from ZARA because its always cute, soft, affordable, and durable. You’ll notice that there are two seasons in California, hot and a little cold, so when I shop, I do so with these seasons in mind. I also get tees, shirts, and rompers from Appaman and Noble Carriage, now I wouldn’t say that these are affordable but they are durable and soft. The Cat & Jack collection at Target always has a ton of awesome and affordable boy pieces that can be easily added to a capsule wardrobe. We cant forget about Old Navy, Gap, HM kids, Cotton On Kids, these stores are constantly putting up amazing sales. Instagram always has plenty of awesome shops that offer a great selection for boys. So I don’t ever want to hear “there aren’t any options for boys,” there are so many, I just listed some of the most common for you all.
Lets talk about shoes, I pretty much follow the same rule with shoes, I purchase two pairs per season so that’s four pairs of shoes per year, this might be a lot for some families so do what works for you. One place that I don’t skim on is shoes, I always look for shoes that are durable, offer support for proper foot development, and are asthetically pleasing, yes I know, priorities, Since we are heading into fall and winter I am looking for a pair of boots and everyday shoes. PediPed is by far one of our favorite brands and I love that they make shoes with kids in mind, shoes that are super durable, comfortable, an you imagine wearing uncomfortable shoes and being as active as a toddler? We got this pair of sneakers for Oliver and so far he is loving them, they are easy to put on, and offer amazing support. I am still looking for a pair of boots that meet these requirements so share your favorite brands with me.
If you are still reading you are probably wondering, how do I save money? Here are some of the tips and tricks that work for our family and so far we have not been disappointed. Follow #momofboys #boyfashion accounts on Instagram, these accounts will usually sell some of their kids clothes for a fraction of the cost. Set up clothes swap days with other fellow mamas, these are so much fun and an opportunity to purge clothes you no longer need and give them to someone who might. If you are local to the Inland Empire make sure you shop the kids pop up consignment shop, Moo La La, I always score some serious deals.
Oliver is wearing: Zara Pants | Appaman Tee |c/o PediPed Sneakers
I cant believe that I am officially in my third trimester and that we have finally picked out a name for our sweet boy!
Benjamin August, we are so excited to meet you, your brother still thinks your name should be “nice baby boy” but I have a feeling you will appreciate Benjamin August much more.
Oliver James and Benjamin August your daddy and I cant wait to watch you grow up, just don’t grow up too fast.
« Older posts